Friday, February 27, 2009

"Muslims and America" and travel education

This 30 Days episode was very eye opening. Dave's ideas were very biased and I think that this experience truly altered his ideas. I was amazed at how closed off he was from learning about Islam. I would try to learn all I could and experience what it's like to be Muslim. I believe it is ridiculous to persecute one faith just because some people have taken it and twisted it to be a reason for destruction. The random street interviews were appalling. I couldn't believe the answers people gave. I would not judge someone for their appearance, or religion, or the prayers they say, no matter what I saw on the news. The ideas of Muslim and terrorist have become so entwined in peoples that the two are one and the same. I have not felt that people treat me dfferently. I feel like an equal in society and it would be very strange to be discriminated against.

The presentation about travel education was cool. I had always thought it would be neat to be an exchange student. I probably will not take part in this program, adventure and me do not go so well together. I might do the after-grad progam however, since I wouldn't misss a school year. I would not sacrifice a year or a couple of months of school to have a cool experience. I try to be a very un-biased person so I think I would be able to immerse myself in the culture pretty easily. I doubt I'd be able to be away from my family for that long. Also, I have a sensitive stomach, so adapting to foreign food would be a uncomfortable experience. Being an exchange students sounds like a great experience; however, the closest I think I will be coming to that wil be the brochure.

No comments:

Post a Comment